Do you have an important message that you need to communicate to all your customers now? Your customers are already saved as contacts in Outlook… so maybe you could just create an email and CC it to all of them. NO!
Using the CC field to send out your sales and marketing emails is not recommended. It can result in annoyed customers and lost sales because:
You are violating your customers’ privacy: When you use CC to send out emails, every person who receives the email will be able to see everyone else’s email address. The problems this can cause are:
- Your customers may not want other people to know that they are working with you.
- Your customers may not want other people on your list to have their email address.
- One of the recipients may decide to use your list for their own marketing efforts.
A good example of this recently happened at our golf club which circulates its weekly newsletter using the CC field. A few of the members have simply copied the list and started advertising all kinds of things… from cars… to computers… to garage sales. I’m not quitting the golf club because it is the only one close to my home but your customers may quit on you.
Your email may never reach your customer: One of the rules that junk email filters use to work out if an email is spam is based on the number of recipients. Stuff too many people in the CC field and suddenly your email ends up in the Junk Email folder where it is never read.
Your email never gets read because it is obvious to the customer that this is a bulk mail out: Even if the email gets to your customer, it looks like a marketing email. He thinks you’re just trying to sell him something so he either deletes it… or leaves it in his Inbox to read later (how many of those emails do we ever read later?).
… can you use the BCC field instead!
The BCC field is no better at customer communications. Because the email is not addressed to the customer, the junk filters either move it to the junk folder… or the user recognizes it as marketing and deletes or ignores it till too late.
So what can you do?
If you’re one of the tens of thousands of users of the Email Merge for Outlook addin, you already know. Email Merge takes your chosen list of people (from Outlook or Excel or wherever) and:
- Creates a separate email for each person… with only their email address in the To field.
- Personalises the Subject and/or body of the email with their personal details (name, company name etc) if you want.
- Sends the email out immediately or schedules it out at a time suitable to you.
- It does all this and more inside Outlook using a Wizard that steps you through the process in a few minutes.
If you haven’t tried Email Merge yet, click here to learn more and download a fully functional version of the Email Merge for Outlook addon.
You’ll be sending out your first set of sales and marketing emails within 5 minutes.