Do you have lists in Microsoft Access that you need to send sales or marketing emails to? You can now email merge directly from Outlook using data stored in Microsoft Access.
Mail Merge is the process of taking one letter (or email) and then personalizing and sending it out to many people. Each person gets a separate copy of the email with only their own name on the To field. The email subject and body can also be personalized with their details.
Thousands of users have been using our best selling addin Email Merge PRO for Outlook to send out sales and marketing emails from Outlook using Outlook data or lists saved in Excel spreadsheets.
We have now updated Email Merge PRO so that you can also use data from Microsoft Access databases.
Email Merge gives you an easy step-by-step Wizard that results in individual personalized emails.
If you’re an existing user of Email Merge PRO, you can download the update for free.
If you haven’t tried it yet, download a functional trial of Email Merge PRO from our website.
Email Merge for Outlook Addon version 3.1.5294 Released: Supports Microsoft Access + Minor Bug Fixes
Standss is happy to announce the release of EmailMerge version 3.1.5294 which is faster, more stable and NOW allows you to use Microsoft Access database (Excel, CSV and Outlook contacts) as your contact source.
This update is free for all existing registered users of version 4.0 or later.
Email Merge for Outlook is already used by thousands of users around the world as an email marketing tool because it works directly from Outlook, there are no monthly or yearly fee’s and allows you to send unlimited emails to unlimited number of contacts.
Fixes and Features in this update include:
- New! Supports loading of contacts from Microsoft Access files in EmailMerge 32-bit and 64-bit
- NEW! Excel contact source/CSV contact source: Remembers the last external file being used.
- Fixed issues with using Excel file as contacts data source.
- Ignores Outlook hidden contact folders.
- Other minor bug fixes
Download latest version of Email Merge for Outlook
New to Email Merge: Watch this short video to see just how easy and simple it is to send out personalized individual copies of emails to your mailing list directly from Outlook.
You can also download a functional trial version of the Email Merge to try it out for yourself.
We had several readers write back to us asking a common question:
“Is there a way to extract email addresses from emails directly to external files like CSV…”
If you have this question in mind as well… The answer is YES!!!
What’s even better is that you don’t need to purchase a new software to do this… you can use Outlook’s in-built Export feature to get this done.
- The first thing you need to do is move/copy all the emails you wish to extract into a separate folder. For example you can create a folder called “Export” or “Email List”.
- In Outlook 2013/2010, click File > Options > click on Advanced from the left pane > Scroll down and click on the Export button
- For Outlook 2007/2003, On the main menu Click File > Import and Export…
- Click Export to a file > click Next > Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) > click Next >
- On the next screen, select the folder which contains the emails from which you wish to extract the email addresses
- Click the Browse… button to specify a location and file name for the new file.
- Click Next > Click Finish.
This should now extract the email address (and other information) from the emails to the new CSV file.
Wondering how this tip is handy?
If you do not want to invest in expensive, subscription-based, online email marketing systems, you can use Outlook and Email Merge for the same.
You can use the steps provided in this post to extract email addresses of your potential clients following a conference, seminar or any other event (who have contacted you) to a CSV file. You could also add them to your Contacts folder but this will be time-consuming as you will have to create each contact individually.
Once all email addresses are in the CSV file, you can use Email Merge for Outlook to create and send personalized emails to your mailing list. With Email Merge, you can send out unlimited number of emails, there is no monthly or yearly fee’s and you can load unlimited contacts from Outlook contacts and external files like CSV, Excel or even Access.
Hope you find this tip useful.
Do you know of other ways the Export feature can be handy?
Let us know by leaving a comment below.
Adding images to your sales and marketing emails can make your emails look attractive and engaging but ONLY if the images and your well-crafted HTML email appears the same in the recipient’s inbox as you intend it too…
Using images in your marketing emails incorrectly can cause a reduction in response rates. Here’s why:
- Plain text emails get through spam filters more easily (ultimately it depends on content so your plain text emails will still get caught if you are sending out obvious spam).
- Email clients like Outlook do not display graphics in emails by default because spammers use them for tracking purposes etc. Therefore if you have your main message only in an image (without repeating it in plain text), then your readers may never actually see it.
- Many email users are now using the preview pane to scan through emails before deciding which emails deserve their attention. If you have a graphic at the top that is not meaningful then your emails may be skipped.
- Not all your readers are using the same version of Outlook as you are… in fact many may not be using Outlook at all (think Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail etc). In our experience images often cause HTML emails to display differently in different browsers which can spoil the look you want to achieve with your emails.
This is one of the main reasons that most of the professionally designed templates in our Email Merge for Outlook addin have little or no images in them. Instead we have used HTML to create a professional look that displays properly and looks great in all the email programs that your readers will be using.
I hope you find this tip useful with your email marketing campaigns this holiday season and improving your response rates.
Let us know if you have other techniques to improve the email response rate by leaving a comment below.
Holiday season is here starting with Thanksgiving and Black Friday this week.
This is the time of the year when businesses and individuals need to send out holiday season invites for parties/events… greetings to families, friends, colleagues and clients.
Most companies also send out newsletters during the year end to update their clients/members of the achievement for the year, plans for the New Year, and special offers for the holiday seasons etc.
Depending on your contact list, the best way to send out your invites, greetings or newsletters this year may be using email, fax or post/hand delivery.
Most of these mailing can be considered “mass mailing” i.e. we want to send copies of the same mail to everyone… possibly customized with their name and address at most.
Microsoft Outlook and Word have some built-in features that automate this process for you. In addition we have built our own tools to further speed up and simplify the process for you.
In this post I’ll discuss both, the built in free way as well as our own addins.
Send Personalized email Invites, Greetings and Newsletters directly from Outlook.
I am going to start with what I consider to be the easiest, fastest and most powerful way of doing this… our own EmailMerge PRO for Outlook.
Seeing is believing so check out this short video on how to send out Invites, Greetings and Newsletters using EmailMerge Pro.
Send unlimited emails to unlimited number of contacts directly from Outlook. EmailMerge supports HTML emails so don’t hold back in creating beautiful and colourful emails this Christmas season 🙂
We also have built-in email templates for invites, greetings and newsletters. You can easily customize this emails to suit your style and personalize it yourself. You don’t have been be an expert at HTML, you can customize this templates using the standard word formatting options in Outlook.
|“I have found emailmerge pro the most useful tool in my marketing armoury! It is simple to use, has some great options for sending emails and is of great value to any businesses wanting a mass email facility.”
– Lori Hope, Spraytanz Ltd
|“Emailmerge Pro is a fantastic tool to personalize emails for large or small groups of people. The ability to mail merge gives you unlimited abilities to create very personalized emails. I use it to improve communication to groups ranging from 8 – 1000+.”
– Jack Fiscus, first Baptist Orlando
How to Fax out Invites, Greetings and Newsletters.
Despite what many people will have you believe, Faxing is not dead.
In fact in terms of deliverability, it can beat email – there is almost no chance that your fax won’t get delivered because of an over-zealous spam filter.
You can use Microsoft Word and the free fax printer that comes with Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 to send out personalized faxes to your customers this year.
The Bad News: Windows Fax and MS Word don’t talk easily to each other out of the box.
The Good News: Fax4Word allows you to fax merge straight from Word to the Windows Fax printer.
How to Print Letters and Envelopes for Posting and Hand Delivery
Even if you will be sending paper based mail this year, technology can help you.
Here are step-by-step instructions to:
I hope you find the above information helpful in staying in touch with friends, families and clients this year.
Happy Thanksgiving and Black Friday to all our readers.
Enjoy your Holidays but keep an eye on your inbox next week Monday for some great offers on our outlook addins to celebrate this holiday season.
Your emails signature is an opportunity to promote your business each and every time you send out an email. Here are a few ideas for what you can put in your signature (aside from your contact information):
- A link to your website (you’re probably doing this already)
- A slogan telling people what it is that you do (for us it is… Make Outlook Work for Your Business)
- The title and link to your most popular blog post. This is a great way to show prospects your expertise.
- If your firm or product has had a great review recently, a few chosen words from the review and maybe a link to the full review
- A call to action (Call now to for an honest appraisal)
- Links to your social media profiles (you can download images from places like Hubspot to make this look even nicer)
I certainly don’t recommend posting everything, but a few well-chosen items can make a big difference.
Till next time…
Are your Sales and Marketing Emails from Outlook reaching their audience… or are they lost in Junk Mail folders?
In order to get your marketing emails read by your customers, you should NEVER send out bulk emails by stuffing many email addresses in the To, CC or even BCC fields.
Instead use Outlook to do an email merge i.e. create and send out a separate, personalized, individually addressed copy of the same email to each person.
This will not only avoid SPAM/Junk filters but will also help you increase your conversion rate by 208% as shown in a recent email marketing case study by Marketing Sherpa.
Why is this important?
Emails sent the wrong way are MUCH more likely to be blocked by the many levels of junk email filters that we all have (even if we don’t always know they’re there).
Junk/SPAM Mail Filters have different levels of sophistication but they all follow a few basic rules including:
- An email with a lot of recipients is more likely to be spam than an email addressed to only my valid email address and…
- An email that is NOT addressed to me directly is more likely to be SPAM than one that is addressed to my email address.
Many Outlook users don’t realize the multiple levels of junk email filters stopping both junk and often real emails from getting to our Inboxes.
Level 1 – Internet Service Provider: Most ISPs now have Junk Mail Filters setup on their servers. These filters do their work even before the email gets to our computers i.e. they remove the email to a Junk Folder that can only be accessed via the Internet.
Level 2 – Anti Spam Software: Many users have additional anti-spam software on their computers that automatically remove and quarantine suspected spam emails.
Level 3 – Outlook’s built-in Junk Email Filter: Finally Outlook has its own Junk Mail filter which moves suspected junk emails to Outlook’s own Junk E-mail folder.
If you’re still sending out your Sales and Marketing Emails from Outlook by putting them all in the To, CC and BCC fields of one email then guess what… your email is most likely lost in a Junk Email Folder somewhere… it is NOT reaching the Reader.
Very few users bother checking the various Junk Mail folders… if your email is getting blocked then chances are it’s going to stay blocked.
Email Merge! You can use Outlook to create and send out personalized copies of the same email to many people.
Outlook has some basic mail merge functionality built into it (it uses Word to do the merge) but this does have some limitations including:
- being harder to use
- not being able to customize the Subject line and
- not being able to send out your emails in smaller lots (which again impacts deliverability).
The easiest way to do this is using our own EmailMerge for Outlook addin. Our addin installs inside Microsoft Outlook and then provides a step-by-step Wizard that will guide you through your first email merge.
A recent email marketing case study by Marketing Sherpa showed a 208% higher conversion rate for targeted mailing (instead of batch-and-blast). Here’s why and how you can use categories in Outlook to do this yourself.
What do we mean by targeted email marketing
Do you send out email newsletters to your contacts? The case study shows that you can get much higher conversion rates and revenue if you create emails for particular segments of your list.
How did they do this?
- They targeted a high value segment. We’ll show you how to segment your list using categories.
- They created a message that met the specific needs of the segment instead of a more general message. Your recipients are more likely to be interested in something specific to them.
- They used a more personal tone in the email.
- They made the customers feel special by personalizing the email’s subject and greeting with the person’s first name. (You can do this from inside Outlook using an addon such as Email Merge)
Using Categories to Segment Your Contacts
Outlook has a feature called categories that you can use to group contacts into segments. Each contact can have as many segments as you want.
If you are using Email Merge PRO for Outlook software, the Email Merge Wizard lets you assign categories, create individual addressed emails, personalize them and send them out in one step.
If you are NOT using Email Merge PRO for Outlook…. You can use the following steps to put your contacts into a particular category.
- Go to your Contacts folder.
- Select the contacts that you want to put in the same category.
- Right click on a contact and click Categorize.
- Select the category that you want (or click All Categories to use the resulting screen to add and assign a new category).
- Repeat the above steps for each contact
Send emails to a category of Contacts
Unfortunately there is no easy way built into Outlook to do the type of personalized segmented email blast described in the case study.
If you want to do it the hard way, you could create a separate email for each contact in your category and then send it out manually.
The significantly easier solution is to use a tool like Email Merge for Outlook that will let you create personalized individually addressed emails for each person in your Outlook category.
Email Merge will let you choose your contacts, write your email, create your category and send out your emails… all from an easy-to-use Wizard… inside Outlook.
Outlook users BCC emails for two main reasons… sending sales/marketing emails or sending someone a copy of the email without letting the other recipients know. We strongly recommend that you DON’T use the BCC field for either purpose. Why?
- Your sales/marketing emails will probably get caught in SPAM filters: Stuffing the TO/CC/BCC field with email addresses makes your email look like spam and it might be caught by the SPAM filters, which means your recipients might never receive your email about an important announcement/sale/event etc.
- Your sales/marketing email might not get read even if it gets past the spam filter (because it looks too much like a sales email to the recipient)
- If you used BCC to keep a recipient hidden from others, imagine what would happen if the hidden recipient did a reply-to-all! Suddenly the other recipients would be aware that you had been using BCC and depending on the nature of the email conversation, this may be viewed as dishonest or sneaky.
What to do instead of using the BCC field?
Send Personalized Individual emails (Marketing or Sales emails)
Your emails have a better chance of reaching the recipients inbox if it is personalized and addressed to that person.
You can either send the same email to the recipients one at a time (compose a new email and copy paste the content) which would be time consuming… or
You can use an easy mail merge tool like Email Merge for Outlook to send out personalized individual copies of the email to each recipient. Each recipient will get a personalized copy of the email which is addressed only to him/her.
Forward Emails (when you need to hide a recipient from the others)
If you need to send someone a copy of an email without others knowing about it, don’t BCC them on it. Instead send the email out to the “disclosed” list of recipients. Then forward a copy of the Sent email to the “hidden” recipient. Now if the hidden recipient reply’s to the email, the reply will only come to you.
Avoid accidental Reply-To-Alls yourself
If you or others in your organization are dealing with confidential information that you are BCCed on, you might want to also look at Reply Guard for Outlook to avoid doing an accident Reply-to-all yourself!
Send Guard has special filters that check emails as you respond to them and as they are sent out.
A special prompt will warn you and ask for confirmation if you reply to an email on which you have been BCCed.
This can avoid the accidental disclosure to other recipients that we referred to earlier.
I hope you find this tip useful.
If you know of other email abuses or ways to avoid email abuses, share it with us by leaving a comment below
Do you use Outlook to reach out to prospects and customers? Here are 3 email marketing tips that will help you manage your email lists, stay clear of SPAM filter, get better responses and increase conversions.
Tip 1: Creating and Managing Email List in Outlook
If you send marketing emails, newsletters or family greetings to the same group of people, it is a good idea to create an email list.
This saves you a lot of time when sending merge email blast as you are not required to individually type in email addresses… just select the group and Outlook sends a copy of the same email to all contacts.
Tip 2: Write NON-SPAM emails that get opened and read
No one likes to receive SPAM so you really can’t blame the customers if your emails end up in their SPAM folder. Although you might feel you have written a clean legitimate email, you might want to cross check your email for some key spam avoiding points.
Tip 3: Should you use images in Outlook sales and marketing emails?
It is very easy to get carried away when adding images to your special sale or promotion emails, you want to ensure that it catches the reader’s attention… but what if he/she is not able to see it in the first place? All they see is a red X wherever you had put images…
Your creative promotional email could all of a sudden appear as SPAM to the recipient and end up in the deleted items folder… the last thing you would have expected.
Here are some tips on using Images in your sales and marketing emails.
BONUS Tip: 5 Email Marketing Tips from Real Salespeople
Finally for all the salespeople and “accidental salespeople”, here are 5 bonus email marketing tips from Real Salespeople which we learnt about in a recent interview. This tips have worked for them so we thought to share it so you can rip the best results from your sales and marketing campaigns this year.
I hope you find this tips useful
Feel free to share this tips with your friends, families or colleagues if you think it will be useful to them.
Till next time… have a better Outlook
- A Simple Tip to Improve Email Conversions by 21x
- What NOT to do after an accidental Reply-All (Hint: Recall does NOT work)
- Quick Steps: Add shortcuts to the Outlook ribbon to file your emails
- Outlook Quick Steps: Forward emails to the RIGHT person at the click of a button in Outlook
- Download the NBA 2016/17 Schedules into Outlook Calendar
- Charity Projects
- Company News
- eeminders for Outlook
- Email Marketing
- Email Notes for Outlook
- EmailMerge for Outlook
- EmailTags for Outlook
- InsertText for Outlook
- Office 365
- Office Tip
- Outlook 2010
- outlook 2013
- Outlook 2016
- Outlook as a Business Tool
- Outlook Calendar Tip
- Outlook Contacts Tips
- Outlook Data Backup
- Outlook Email Filing & Management Tip
- Outlook Email Tips
- Outlook Installation/Setup
- Outlook Mail Merge
- Outlook Performance
- Outlook Search Tips
- Outlook Shortcuts
- project management
- QuickFile for Outlook
- Sales and Marketing with Outlook
- Send Confirm
- SendGuard for Outlook
- Sending emails
- Signature Switch for Outlook
- Smart Schedules for Outlook
- SPAM Filtering in Outlook
- Special Discount Offers
- Windows Tip
- May 2017 (1)
- April 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (4)
- January 2017 (2)
- December 2016 (1)
- November 2016 (2)
- October 2016 (3)
- September 2016 (4)
- August 2016 (3)
- July 2016 (5)
- June 2016 (2)
- April 2016 (1)
- March 2016 (2)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (3)
- November 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (3)
- August 2015 (2)
- July 2015 (4)
- June 2015 (3)
- May 2015 (2)
- April 2015 (3)
- March 2015 (4)
- February 2015 (3)
- January 2015 (3)
- December 2014 (1)
- November 2014 (1)
- October 2014 (3)
- September 2014 (6)
- August 2014 (8)
- July 2014 (7)
- June 2014 (7)
- May 2014 (6)
- April 2014 (2)
- March 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (2)
- December 2013 (4)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (7)
- September 2013 (8)
- August 2013 (11)
- July 2013 (9)
- June 2013 (9)
- May 2013 (10)
- April 2013 (9)
- March 2013 (8)
- February 2013 (7)
- January 2013 (4)
- December 2012 (4)
- November 2012 (9)
- October 2012 (3)
- September 2012 (3)
- August 2012 (5)
- July 2012 (2)
- June 2012 (5)
- May 2012 (9)
- April 2012 (7)
- March 2012 (10)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (8)
- December 2011 (3)
- November 2011 (4)
- October 2011 (6)
- September 2011 (8)
- August 2011 (11)
- July 2011 (9)
- June 2011 (2)
- May 2011 (7)
- April 2011 (7)
- March 2011 (8)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (7)
- December 2010 (6)
- November 2010 (9)
- October 2010 (8)
- September 2010 (8)
- August 2010 (14)
- July 2010 (13)
- June 2010 (15)
- May 2010 (13)
- April 2010 (15)
- March 2010 (5)