Outlook lets you edit emails… but should you?
You may not know this but it is possible to edit received and sent emails in Outlook. In this post we will discuss why you may want to edit emails, why you really shouldn’t… and an alternative to editing emails that still achieves your goals for editing emails… without actually editing the emails (I hope that makes sense).
How to Edit Emails in Outlook
- Double-click the email to open in a new window.
- In Outlook 2010, Select Actions > Edit Message from the Move section in the Message ribbon.
In Outlook 2007, Select Other Actions > Edit Message from the toolbar.
In Outlook 2003 and earlier, Select Edit > Edit Message from the menu.
- Make the changes to the Body and Subject of the email
- Press CTRL+S on the keyboard to save the changes to the email.
Why you may want to edit emails?
We did a survey of close to 10,000 of our readers last year and we found out that many users edited their emails to capture additional notes.
These notes were basically ideas that users had while reading the email… or additional information gathered by follow up phone calls etc.
For many users, it was easier to simply edit the email and enter their notes so that all the information was in one place.
Why you should NOT edit emails?
The two big reasons we recommend that you do not edit your actual emails are:
- Editing emails is DESTRUCTIVE to the original message i.e. you may no longer have a true record of what the original email was. You may need it later for reference (or even for legal reasons).
- You may accidentally pass on confidential information to others when you forward or reply to an email which you have edited.
A better way of making notes on emails
According to our survey, the main reason that users edited emails was to add notes. So we created Email Notes for Outlook.
Email Notes for Outlook lets you add notes to your emails without changing the actual email.
But… later this week (hopefully by the 4th of March 2011), we will be releasing a FANTASTIC update to Email Notes. This update makes Email Notes even easier to use and (I know I’am probably biased) just so much sexier to look at.
We’ll let you know when it is ready.
PS: We haven’t decided yet if there will be a price increase after the update but all existing users will get the upgrade for free.
- Charity Projects
- eeminders for Outlook
- Email Marketing
- Email Notes for Outlook
- EmailMerge for Outlook
- EmailTags for Outlook
- InsertText for Outlook
- Office 365
- Office Tip
- outlook 2013
- Outlook as a Business Tool
- Outlook Calendar Tip
- Outlook Contacts Tips
- Outlook Data Backup
- Outlook Email Filing & Management Tip
- Outlook Email Tips
- Outlook Installation/Setup
- Outlook Mail Merge
- Outlook Performance
- Outlook Search Tips
- Outlook Shortcuts
- project management
- QuickFile for Outlook
- Sales and Marketing with Outlook
- SendGuard for Outlook
- Sending emails
- Signature Switch for Outlook
- Smart Schedules for Outlook
- SPAM Filtering in Outlook
- Special Discount Offers
- Windows Tip